Friday, June 22, 2007

Bad Day Averted

Like they say about potential astroids hitting Earth and killing all life, it's not a question of if, but when.

This morning it happened. I overslept. It has been a long time since I last overslept. Lynette's theory is that storms messed with our power last night, since her clock was flashing 12:00. But my clock, however, seemed fine. Which leaves only one logical explanation: My side of the bed is haunted and a ghost kept pressing the snooze button on my clock each time the alarm sounded.

Regardless, at 7:15 AM, I awoke and quietly muttered to myself, "Uh oh." I didn't panic. I didn't leap from the bed screaming. I calmly nudged my bride and informed her that I overslept. Then to my surprise, she got out of bed and headed downstairs looking like we had practiced this emergency routine several times. I performed minimal and necessary hygienic things to my person and got dressed. 7:22 AM. I was able to hear Lynette downstairs conducting all the tasks that I had been doing for years: Making coffee, building lunches, etc. All normal, comfortable routines were turned upside down on this Friday morning, the second day of summer.

In the end, I got to work on time. The coffee was spot on. The lunches constructed as they are every day. None of the other drivers on the road seemed to know that I had overslept this morning. And after I got to work I thought to myself, "We pulled it off."

Lynette really stepped up to the plate for me this morning. Like Gerald Ford taking over after Nixon resigned; or that chick on Battlestar Galactica who became president after all the other politicians got killed by the Cylons. Likewise, I was reminded this morning, in the event of such dire situations, my wife will be there to make the coffee.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I seriously woke up last night at 4:45am to my alarm going "blink, blink, blink, blink." I NEVER wake up in the middle of the night. So, in complete darkness, I jammed a few buttons (even made the radio go on for a minute)and somehow got it to stop blinking. I thought to myself "i should wake up Jason so he can double check his...no he'll think i'm crazy...honkshooo, honkshoooo...." I guess he couldn't hear my thoughts.

Lucky1304 said...

What happened to my comment? I know I made a comment....

Anyhow, to repeat myself: What you need is a 15-month-old. We haven't had to set an alarm since we brought Sadie home.

You'll still be late for work though. But for different reasons.