Wednesday, June 22, 2011

No Reservations

This is my fourth week not at work. Aside from pretending I know what I'm doing as James' father, I've been watching a lot of No Reservations on the Travel Channel.  I love this show.  Anthony Bourdain has just the right amount of arrogance and nonchalance that make him the perfect television host.  I appreciate an honest take on the not frequently visited locations of this planet versus saccharin, brochure cover presentations of man-made, artificial tourist traps.  Given all the exotic locales I have watched him visit my favorite so far is Cleveland.  Bourdain treats the cold, gray climes of wintery Ohio with the same eye and tongue of rural Vietnam.

Most importantly, what the show teaches me is that no matter where I go there are hidden gems waiting to be discovered.  Including treasures right down the street from me.  Too often we overlook tasty morsels right under our noses.

No comments: