Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dessert Appreciation #38

Next in our series of Dessert Appreciation is the noble ice cream sandwich. The mere sight of this classic novelty brings me back to sweltering, summer nights sneaking into the kitchen for one of these beauties. There seemed to be an endless supply of these wonderful treats in our freezer... I picture my mother in the grocery store, blindly reaching for the box of Dean's Foods ice cream sandwiches, as if they were a standard item on the shopping list like toothpaste and toilet paper. And I do not remember any dessert negotiations in the freezer section either. Mom rolled through the freezer section, grabbed the ice cream sandwiches, period. (Wait, maybe this is why I was an obese child...?)

Growing up in the northern midwest, Dean's Foods was the staple dairy products supplier. But as I've grown up and moved on to other parts of the country, I've noticed one thing: The ice cream sandwich never changes, regardless of brand. In fact, I have found that the generic versions of these brown and white miracles seem tastier than the more expensive bourgeois brands.

The ice cream sandwich, reportedly, began in New York City at around 1900. Vendors pushed carts and made the sandwiches on site using a metal tray to mold the vanilla ice cream into its perfect rectangular shape. The silky monolith was then placed between two wafers and sold for one penny. Vendors had no time to make change because the demand was so high.

August 2 is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. You have a few weeks, so make sure to stock up on ice cream sandwiches for that glorious day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if you are getting too wistful of your past on this blog!!! The best part of the ice cream sammich is that within two minutes of being outside of the freezer it quickly becomes soft serve ice cream, and the cookies become moist and...and...*drool*...Damnit, now I want to go get some ice cream sandwiches!!!