Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry Who?

I like to consider myself up on things popular. Or at least as up as a 33 year-old man can be. I'm an avid TV watcher. I appreciate a good independent movie. I own an iPod, an Xbox 360, a Nintendo Wii (Guitar Hero II is one of my favorite games right now). I create web sites. I produce a podcast. I'm a child of the eighties: Very few pop-culture references get by me. As a former English major and high school English teacher, I am a huge advocate for all things wordy. Reading, writing, whatever. I love Tolkien, Hemingway, and Bukowski. And comic books will always have a place in my heart, too. Often I wonder if all these toys and interests might be a bit too young, or immature. Regardless, I enjoy these things. In the future, after I become some poor fool's dad, I won't have the time to stay up on things, so I'll enjoy them while I can.

Let's get to the point: As the previous post states, we recently made a trip to Chicago for a friend's wedding. Our old college group reunited once again. Just like old times, as they say.
Coincidentally, the new Harry Potter book went on sale during the course of our visit. And to my surprise, a few of my friends were clamoring to buy this book. Now, I'm not a complete moron. I know how popular these Harry Potter books are. I've seen the kids wearing cloaks and circular glasses at Halloween. I'm aware of the movies. But what took me by surprise was the amount of adults, specifically adults I knew, who were so into this book. I was aware of some adults who liked these books, but I always discounted them as the Non-Literary Reading Public, like Stephen King fans, or John Grisham fans (yes, I know I'm sounding like a literary snob). But then I found out my actual friends had been reading these books and loving them. (And in all honesty, one can make the same argument toward a Star Wars fan or a Simpsons fan, many people not understanding the appeal.)

So I inquired as to why they were into these book, being careful not to make fun of them. I truly wanted to know how and/or why they got into these books in the first place and what sustained the interest. The answers were vague (being fair, if someone asked me why I love Star Wars, an answer of Because it's so cool! just wouldn't suffice). As could be predicted, Natalie, my fellow English major friend and current book editor, handed me book one. "Shut up and read this, ya bastard." She may or may not have called me a bastard, but my suitcase was slightly heavier as I traveled home on Sunday, for I had in my possession J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Note: There were dozens of people strewn about the airport reading the new Harry Potter book. Adults. Sitting on the floor. Lost in their books. It was actually quite beautiful considering how dependent we have become on technology during the course of this past decade. No laptops, no cell phones, no iPods, just a simple, hard cover book.

So, I'm on page 101. Harry just boarded the train to Hogwart's. Not quite half-way through the book. My assessment: It's wonderful. It's charming. It's exactly what I need to be reading. Truthfully, it ain't Shakespeare, but seriously, every once in a while we have to stop being so important. Which reminds me, I did manage to catch the end of Transformers.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

On the back sleeve of this book, there's a quote stating the likeness to works by Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.) I'd just like to point out that before Jason read the quote, he had the exact same thought. And following that thought, he concluded, "Lynette will love this book!" In an act of kindness so grand, Jason navigated the downtown streets of DC (learning that 6 blocks+ 91 degree heat can make for a "workout" lunch break) and purchased a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for me on Friday.