Friday, July 6, 2007

Wrigley Field East


Last night I had the pleasure of seeing my beloved Chicago Cubs play against the Washington Nationals at RFK Stadium. As usual, I think the Nationals forgot to tell their fans there was a game last night because I only saw Cub fans there.

Rick, my brother, was able to dig up some awesome seats behind home plate. So he and Hunter (my nephew) and my dad all boarded a plane headed for a glorious 24 hours in the humid DC swamplands. As long as we were wearing Cubbie blue, nothing could go wrong... except for rain... but don't worry, it stopped before the first pitch, making the air even more humid.

As I have proclaimed to my friends before, there are only two locations on this Earth that get me closest to God: Sitting on a boat at six o'clock in the morning in the middle of Six Mile Lake, Bena, Minnesota, fishing for perch and the occasional walleye; and attending a major league baseball game at a major league park preferably when the Cubs are playing, and preferably at Wrigley Field.

Fishing and Baseball... my churches.

As I said, it was HUMID last night. We enjoyed a Cub win. I took communion (a beer and a dog). We worshiped summer and one of our country's only inventions (besides jazz). And the men made it safely back to Chicago this morning on an airplane still reeking of beer and sweat (just kidding, I let them use my shower... though I am glad Lynette is in New York until Sunday because our house is a wreck right now).

By the way, I think the president was at the game last night, but I don't think anyone noticed.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boys are so messy! JK. Really the President was there?

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed church. :)