Thursday, March 27, 2008

Exploration

Someone once said you should do one thing everyday that scares you. Admittedly, I do not practice this on a daily basis, but there are times when this sentence echoes in my mind when confronted with a choice.

Philosophically, I am always willing to try anything at least once. Sometimes twice, just to make sure. I do believe conquering fear makes you into a better person. So that is why this morning I deviated from my well-known, comfortable, mapped-out route to work and decided to take an alternate, unknown path to work. *If you don't think this counts as over-coming a fear, then you haven't driven in Washington DC during rush hour traffic.

Typically, I take 395 north into Washington DC where it turns into 14th Street, goes over the 14th Street bridge, and eventually takes me into downtown DC. I've been driving this route for seven years. I could probably drive it with my eyes closed. Unfortunately, it's one of only a few ways into DC if you live in Virginia. The amount of traffic is staggering. It usually takes me roughly 45 minutes to an hour to drive the 10 miles to work. BUT this morning I veered off, I took the road less traveled.

Just as 395 passes the Pentagon, there is an exit on the left that I have always wondered about. I tried to figure out where it goes. I even looked on maps, but couldn't quite see. Well, this morning I turn the car into this left exit lane and ventured forth into the unknown -

Long story short: I took a different bridge into DC and shaved many minutes off my commute.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

You are such a rebel! Livin' on the edge, indeed.

How many minutes did you shave off?