Monday, June 15, 2009

UP; Or, You Are Not Prepared For This Movie

So I went to the movies over the weekend. Or as my parents like to say, The Show. I took my beautiful bride to the show. We saw Up.

And for the roughly two hours that Pixar's Up appeared on the screen before us (in 3D) Lynette and I were a blubbering mess. I was not emotionally prepared for this movie.

First of all, do not be fooled by the Pixar brand. This IS NOT Finding Nemo or Ratatouille. Up is not intended for small children. Aside from the deep, heavy emotional subject matter, there are intense scenes with a nasty villain and scary chase scenes that would've kept me up for days if I were five years old. The little boy in front of me said aloud, "That man is mean, Mommy." I wanted to respond, "Fuckin' A."

Second, the creators of Up must have had a "special meeting" where all the writers brainstormed every possible situation that would cause level-headed adults to sob like we just got dumped by our high school sweetheart moments before our grandma's funeral.

There I was anticipating a light-hearted romp from trusty Pixar. In 3D! What I got was a heart-wrenching, painful emotional drubbing. In 3D. When the movie was over, I found myself exhausted.

In Pixar's defense, Up is beautiful. Up is great. Up is powerful. The message presented by Up is an important one and something many people need to hear. I just wish Pixar had warned me that this movie was going to punch me in the gut. Fortunately, the 3D glasses hid my reddened eyes.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I was also thankful we saw it in 3D, the glasses did the trick! However, I recycled my glasses exiting the theater and that's when the real waterworks show began. All the way home....and Pixar said this was "the funniest movie yet." Lies!