Friday, August 7, 2009

"Score, A Direct Hit"

There's a scene in Sixteen Candles where 'The Geek' (the unnamed Anthony Michael Hall character) takes the passed out girl (Jake's girlfriend) over to his friends' house so that he can get a picture of him with the girl in the Rolls Royce. (What's that? You haven't seen the movie? First, smack yourself in the face. Second, fucking see it, jesus christ.)

I conjure up the images of this for one reason: Of all the John Hughes' movies that I grew up watching (and watching and watching) this scene is the one I most identified with. Sure, I wanted to be Ducky from Pretty in Pink, or Bender from Breakfast Club, but it's the guys in this scene that best described my adolescent life.

2 comments:

mama said said...

I saw Breakfast Club three times the first week it came out. I was seventeen. I had never seen anything like it, and couldn't get enough. Over the past couple decades, I've seen it countless times again. What I felt, that first night in that darkened theater, has yet to wane when I watch it now.
Goodbye old friend. You've no idea how we will miss you.

Lynette said...

I have to agree, John Hughes gave me guidance during my complicated teen years. When I watched these movies (which were mainly filmed in the general area I grew up in) God - that's why they were soooo familiar and seemed so REAL. What I didn't know at the time, is he was affecting the entire teen population no matter where they lived. When Breakfast Club came out I was not aloud to see it. I was in jr high. It must have come on HBO or something because my brother got to watch it in the living room. I distinctly remember his laughter, and my jealousy.

Time to fill in the John Hughes catalog of movies missing from our collection.