Monday, February 1, 2010

Why Lost Kicks Ass

For the last five years I have been immersed in the world of Lost. Happily. But initially reluctantly. Here's how my love for Lost sprouted:

I was watching the Golden Globes. Must have been one year in the early Aughts. One of my favorite TV shows Deadwood was up for best drama. Assuming that there was no way in Hell a different TV show was going to beat Deadwood, I tuned in. But guess what - Deadwood did not win! Some lame-ass show I barely heard about won. Some stupid show called Lost. "What the heck is Lost?" said me. "How could ANY show be better than Deadwood?" said me.

Skeptical, yet curious, I marched my butt down to the local Blockbuster (it was a store that rented out dvds... google it) and rented DISK ONE of the first season of Lost just to see what all the commotion was about.

When the episode one of Lost ended Lynette and I sat there in our living room mouths agape. It blew us away! (Seriously, I dare you to watch the pilot episode and not get sucked in.) I quickly looked at my watch to see if I still had time to get back to Blockbuster to rent the remaining disks for season one.

Funny thing, Blockbuster did not have the other disks available that night. Determined to watch the entire season in one night I ran over to Best Buy and BOUGHT Lost Season One.

After five years of following along with one of the most delicious mystery/sci-fi television series ever created, tomorrow night the final season of Lost will begin. Although I will be happy to get some answers to some of the weird things that have occurred on the show, I will be sad to say goodbye to the fun of trying to figure it all out. To be fair, seasons 3 and 4 dragged a bit, but it was still fun. Fun is the best word I can give to this wonderful, unique show.

Another funny thing: Here's me barely hanging on as evidenced in a blog post from two years ago. LINK

Here's how the show started:

No comments: