Monday, March 14, 2011

No Bracket

My affection for sports is very exclusive and subjective.  I love baseball.  Period.  I like football and hockey, but only when the Chicago Bears and Washington Capitals are playing.  Baseball requires a commitment of time and an appreciation of subtleties. Football is Short Attention Span Theater.  And hockey, well, that's just a mesmerizing organized chaos.  With that said, I admire all three.

I do not watch Sportscenter.  I have no idea if the NBA still exists after Michael Jordan.  And I absolutely do not watch college sports.  In fact, I loathe college sports.  Don't get me wrong, I do respect the athleticism of the students, but I cannot get over the fact that while millions of dollars are made for these universities we often forget that these institutions are UNIVERSITIES.  Places of higher learning.  Books and such.  School!  While the football fields for these colleges look amazing and concession stand that sells the beer at the basketball games are probably nicer than my house, many aspects of these colleges go ignored and neglected.

As a person who had to work his ass off to put himself through college I resent the "full rides" these "students" get simply because they can play a sport well.  Again, I know these "students" work very hard in their respective sports, but the priorities made by these "universities" are way out of whack.

So how do I politely tell people that I don't give a shit about their NCAA brackets?  So far today I have had three different people ask me about some college team that did or didn't make the tournament and every time I had to say, "Sorry, I don't follow college sports."  Maybe I'll just make up random fictional team names and see how many confused looks I get.

"Oh yeah, dude, I think Northcentral East Illinois is gonna take it all."

No comments: