Friday, August 31, 2012

Orient Me

Week one is complete.  Mostly I sat in a room every day for eight hours.  Sometimes I got out to have a look around.  They've been drilling us extensively on the basics of psychology and psychiatry.  Also how to defend ourselves when someone when a resident attacks.  I have made friends with a new resident psychologist (Alex), and a resident chaplain/cantor (Mike).  I have never worked in a more eclectic setting in my life.  I love it.  Mike and I have become pretty good friends.  We often talk about God during lunch.  Or traffic in DC.  And Alex just earned his doctorate so I've been saying things like, "No doctor, we don't have time to go to Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch."  I wonder if they consider me the funny one... or maybe the annoying one... shit.

Anyway, my new boss and colleagues keep trying to pull me out of orientation because there's a pile of work to be done, but I keep refusing.  I am learning so much.  I might even be feeling the sparks of motivation to go into the field of psychology.

No comments: