Thursday, February 20, 2014

Life According to Gulp!

Remind to never put almond milk in my coffee again. That's a mistake I won't make twice in my life. Like the time I accidentally thought a little bowl of horseradish was ranch dressing. Or when I failed to put oil in my old Buick. There's something to be said for having your car engine explode while you're driving down an interstate highway in the middle of the night in a time before cell phones. 

I'm glad my son will never know a life without the immediate response a cell phone affords us, or a life without the infinite wealth of knowledge at our fingertips via the internet. But I do wonder where James will attain the proper amount of character that makes a true, good man. 

He will make mistakes, however. And that's an important part of growing up. (I still make plenty, so I guess I'm still growing!) He'll get stranded somewhere. He'll say the wrong thing to a girl. He'll lose something important and never find it. These are the moments in life that make us who we are. 

Technology is good. Convenience is good. Perhaps the next generation's mistake will be much different than mine. I can appreciate that. Heck, almond milk didn't even exist when I was wading my way through my young life. 

Let's recap:

1. Make sure there's oil in your car.
2. Don't ask your girlfriend if it's okay to date a different girl while you're temporarily living on the other side of the country.
3. Don't put almond milk in your coffee.

No comments: