Monday, January 11, 2010

The Best Movie of the 00's

I've been doing some thinking. Movie thinking. I've been reading everyone's end-of-the-year lists of good and best movies of the decade. They all had the obvious fare: The Royal Tennenbaums; Y Tu Mama Tambien; There Will Be Blood... But then one list, created by The A.V. Club, of all places, inserted a movie that made me feel guilty for mentally misplacing it. I remember the feeling I had in my heart when this movie ended: It was that feeling you get when you say goodbye to someone you know you'll never see again. It's a bittersweet feeling because you're happy for the beauty the relationship provided, but there's no getting around the ache of heartbreak that we all unfortunately have lived and learned to deal with.

The movie is The New World.

Both dismal and enchanting. Breathless and meditative. The New World surely transported me. Visually and emotionally.

No comments: