Friday, January 29, 2010

E-Lec-Tronic Readin'

Beep. Boop. Computers. Computers.

I just finished reading my first book electronically. (Ooo. Aah.) And so here are my thoughts on reading books electronically...

It was a positive experience. First, and most importantly, it only took me about fifteen minutes before I stopped thinking, "I'm reading an e-book," and started thinking, "I'm reading a Stephen King book." In other words, the Kindle did not interfere with my ability to enter the world of the story. The device itself did not get in the way of my reading. But to be fair, I did miss the physical act of turning a paper page. In my opinion though, I have no problem sacrificing that simple pleasure for the benefits the Kindle afforded me.

For one thing, Stephen King's new book Under the Dome is about 1000 pages! There is no way I would have been able to read that beast during my daily commute on the Metro. Also, I only paid $9.99 for it. And on those days when XL people "sat" "next" to me on the train, I didn't need that extra room for my arms to turn the pages of the book. (Body pressed against the train window, I was still able to read!)

Plus, as soon as I finished Under the Dome, I started right into my next book at the push of a button. Easy peasy.

No comments: