Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad? Really?


First of all, I'm not a hater. I only harass the Apple fanboys because it's so easy and fun. Personally, I love the Apple products I own. And if it weren't for Apple I would have never got through college (the Apple Education loan afforded me a computer, albeit a pre-Steve Jobs beige bore.) I love my iPod and iTunes. And I love my iPhone. With that said, I am SOOOOO glad the new iPad is (initially) a let-down.

Let me explain: I recently got a Kindle for Christmas and it wasn't cheap. I love reading and I love not having to carry a big book around during my daily commute. But shortly after the holidays word spread like a dad's fart that Apple was soon to release their own "eReader"/tablet. My first thought was that I wasted $300 because obviously Apple was going to make a far superior product.

Keep in mind, an "eReader" is not like reading a computer monitor. eInk (via Kindle or Nook) is a new technology that requires very little power and is very easy on the eyes. The contrast with eInk is similar to that of a paperback book. Computer monitors are 'back-lit' which will basically turn your brain to mush if you stare at it too long.

Guess what - the iPad is a back-lit, LED screen. For me, this is the deal breaker. I'm once again grateful for my Kindle. Sure the iPad's interface is super cool, but I surely cannot imagine staring at a computer monitor for hours on end in my living room to read a book.

There's plenty of other reasons the new iPad is letting people down all over the world (here's a list courtesy of Engadget), but for me, my attention was solely directed at its eReader capabilities.

Also, the name iPad sucks.

No comments: