Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Man on the Train

This afternoon I was coming home on the train when I was confronted with an unusual situation. I was in the front car one hour before rush hour, which meant the car was mostly empty. I had almost the whole train to myself. Then at the Pentagon stop a large man came aboard and sat down next to me. Often the train is full and sitting next to large people is part of the game. But this afternoon the train was empty and this large man sat next to me.

I spent a few moments trying to figure out if this man was toying with me. I looked around to ensure that there were empty seats all around. But then I made a decision. I stayed in the seat with this large man pressed up against me. And we rode all the way home squished together in an empty train. A few stops before I got off I realized he was asleep. And I thought maybe this man just needs someone to sit next to. Maybe this man is weary or lonely. Maybe he is distraught or afraid. I ignored my initial thought to get up and move and stayed with him.

Coincidentally, we got off at the same stop. And when the doors opened this man stepped out and waved goodbye to the train operator. I noticed that this man was intellectually disabled. I don't know if it would've made a difference to him if I had moved to a different seat. But then again maybe it made a difference that I didn't.

No comments: