Monday, October 11, 2010

Hockey Town?



I'm no hockey expert. Heck, I didn't even start watching hockey until two years ago, but I'm afraid DC is not a "hockey town" as the above video purports.  (BTW, this video plays at the Verizon Center at the beginning of every home game.)

Considering DC sports and the people who make up a lot of its population, it's difficult to determine what kind of town it is.  Baseball is way too new and the Wizards have a stupid name.  The United is soccer (no explanation required).  Then there's the Redskins... From the outside looking in I can't even say this is a football town.  In defense of football and its sudden rise in popularity in recent decades there's a whole lot of Redskins fans here.  Normally, that would be a duh statement, BUT this town is so full of transient people that often you might run into more Cowboy fans than Redskin fans.  Or Bears, or Steelers, etc.

My point is I think it's sad that more people who live here don't back the home team. Back in Chicago, there are no options.  The sports teams are like family and we loved them no matter what.  Even in the losingest of losing seasons rarely did a "fan" get too down on the beloved Bears.  Every family has that weirdie loser who can't seem to do anything right, but we loved 'em anyway.

I live in DC now.  I am a Nationals fan.  I am a Capitals fan.  I am a Bears fan.  (Sorry, blood is thicker than water!)

No comments: