Monday, May 2, 2011

"The Death of Osama bin Laden"

From the blog of Justin McRobert:

I cannot possibly imagine the kind of catharsis Bin Laden’s death brings about for those who lost loved ones either on Sept 11, 2001 or during the subsequent military actions.  I don’t at all blame some among us from feeling some sense of release.  Were I among that number, I too would feel a great sense of relief today.
And yet, the christian narrative is one in which we await and long for the complete restoration/reconciliation of all things to God. Any other “solution” to brokenness is second best and a form of brokenness itself.
Bin Ladin’s death is one more death in a long chain of violence that began long before his birth and will continue long after his death.  I hardly expect anyone in my social setting to sincerely lament his passing. I do not. But celebrating his death (or any death, really) is revealing of a profound misunderstanding of the nature of war, the nature of evil, the nature of violence, the nature of death and, I believe, the heart of God.
Nothing has been won.
It is only another loss that can, for now, help some of us to feel better about the losses closer to us.
But that’s not a victory. It’s a compromise.
Death ought always be greeted with a sense of sobriety.  Because, though it may feel good (and that is fully understandable) death does not heal. Death does not solve.  Death does not fix. Every death is a reminder of brokenness.  As a christian, I must hope for and celebrate something better than this.

No comments: