Over the weekend I went back to my local comic book store and rejoined my nerdy brethren after a hiatus that lasted a surprising two years. I feel no shame or regret. I love everything about comics.
Here's my over-simplified justification for getting back into comics (AKA spending the money on comics) (in case someone I'm married to happens to be reading this):
- I rarely drink alcohol. Imagine the money saved there.
- I no longer smoke cigarettes. The cost of my old 2 pack a day habit would be astronomical today!
- I don't golf. I'm not knocking golf, but I know it can be an expensive sport/hobby.
- I don't want/need to drive an expensive car.
- I make my own coffee at home every morning and take it to work in a thermos.
- I take my lunch to work every day. (With lunch and coffee I'm already saving hundreds per month!)
- The only tropical vacations I take are the ones in my mind when I'm staring at the Islands 2011 calendar in my cubicle.
- I plan on giving all my comic books to my son, who I hope will also develop an appreciation for the genre.
- I use public transportation for my daily commute to and from work saving money on gas and parking.
- I read e-books which saves me money on buying physical copies of books.
- I fashion all my clothes from leaves, sticks, and grass I gather from the forest floor.
- I build my own electronics from paper clips, rubber bands, and anything else I find laying around on the floor at work.
- Instead of buying new shoes I target unsuspecting people on the street and mug them for their shoes.
- I operate a meth lab in an old RV in the desert of New Mexico.