Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Welcome Back, Comics!

Look, there are some things I can't stay away from. And I should at least be given some credit for trying to eliminate this hobby from my life...

Over the weekend I went back to my local comic book store and rejoined my nerdy brethren after a hiatus that lasted a surprising two years. I feel no shame or regret. I love everything about comics.

Here's my over-simplified justification for getting back into comics (AKA spending the money on comics) (in case someone I'm married to happens to be reading this):
  • I rarely drink alcohol. Imagine the money saved there.
  • I no longer smoke cigarettes. The cost of my old 2 pack a day habit would be astronomical today!
  • I don't golf. I'm not knocking golf, but I know it can be an expensive sport/hobby.
  • I don't want/need to drive an expensive car.
  • I make my own coffee at home every morning and take it to work in a thermos. 
  • I take my lunch to work every day. (With lunch and coffee I'm already saving hundreds per month!)
  • The only tropical vacations I take are the ones in my mind when I'm staring at the Islands 2011 calendar in my cubicle.
  • I plan on giving all my comic books to my son, who I hope will also develop an appreciation for the genre.
  • I use public transportation for my daily commute to and from work saving money on gas and parking.
  • I read e-books which saves me money on buying physical copies of books. 
  • I fashion all my clothes from leaves, sticks, and grass I gather from the forest floor.
  • I build my own electronics from paper clips, rubber bands, and anything else I find laying around on the floor at work.
  • Instead of buying new shoes I target unsuspecting people on the street and mug them for their shoes.
  • I operate a meth lab in an old RV in the desert of New Mexico.
So as you can see I have been saving money in various ways in my life and the re-introduction of buying comic books shouldn't have that much of an impact on my wallet. Also, comic books are cool, duh.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Way too funny! But if by chance it comes down to comics or diapers...please pick diapers :)