Thursday, August 14, 2008

How to Run a Business

Having no business education or experience of my own, I feel like I know a little something about running one. That's a joke, yes, but as a CONSUMER I know exactly what will get me to come back to a certain store.

(BTW, I kind of do know a little something about business - or rather keeping customers happy - because I was taught by the greatest businessman I have ever known: Steve Grechis, owner of The Huntley Dairy Mart, a small burger/ice cream joint I worked at when I was a teenager.)

Last night Lynette and I went to Nova Comics, our local comic book shop. (No, I didn't drag her there - she is showing an interest.) And the moment I walked in, Dave (shop worker and scarily knowledgeable comic book man) greeted me by name and handed me the comic books I had gone in there to get. The place was busy, too, because it was Wednesday, new comics day. And yet the guy still took the time to pull my name out of his head and retrieve the comic books I had ordered BEFORE I even reached the register.

THAT'S how you run a business. THAT'S how you get me to come back. Often. Treatment like that makes me want to go back for no reason. It makes me want to go there and buy something I don't want just to give the place more money. None of this closed on Sundays shit (RE: America Runs on Dunkin, July 21st post).

Another thing: customer service. Before I decided to jump back into the world of comics, I expected to deal with the elitist snobbery that one usually encounters at a comic book shop. But these guys at Nova Comics, they're friendly and helpful and generally enthusiastic about helping me spend my money at their establishment. I mean, duh, it's a no-brainer - it's about making money. Their goal is to make money.

And my money they shall have.

No comments: