Monday, November 17, 2008

Apples and Bananas

I bought an iPhone this weekend. For those of you who are thinking, "But Jason, you rag on Apple fanboys all the time!" let me say this: I will continue to rag on you Kool-Aid drinking, smarmy bastards until you stop acting like Steve Jobs is the friggin' Second Coming of Christ.

Let's get something clear: I am a PC. When it comes down to computing, Apple has yet wriggled its way into my daily life. Face facts: The world runs on PCs and Windows.

Before you start blaming me of fanboyism, I used a Mac all through college. So, ha.

Anyway, the iPhone - I bought one because I think they're real cool. I've played with a few and really wanted one since they've been on the market. There were two things holding me back: The cost and Verizon.

Second point first, I was in a Verizon contract. Breaking that contract costs $175.

The other point, when the iPhone first came out it was something like $600. So in order for me to get one I'd be nearly $800 in the hole. No thanks.

But new shit has come to light. For starters, the iPhone only costs $199 now. And I was ready for a phone upgrade anyway and had planned on getting the new Blackberry Storm this week.

After some research, I decided it would be more cost effective to break my Verizon contract and buy the iPhone.

So now that I have the iPhone I have to say it really is a very neat thing. I plan on using mine as a PDA mostly. There's also a built-in GPS with Google Maps which works like a dream. And texting on it is so easy and fun. And, equally as important, it's thinner in my pocket than my last cell phone.

Did I mention it has Air Hockey on it? It totally does. Two player, even. So awesome.
JC

4 comments:

Elwood said...

I've almost always been with AT&T for my phone service, and I still skipped over the iPhone for a BlackBerry Curve when I upgraded earlier this year.

It's pretty, but the iPhone has yet to hook me.

Scotus said...

Air Hockey's fun, but I found it a bit too easy to master. Try Fuzzle. There's a free trial version, and the full version is only $1.

Lynette said...

Air hockey or not - I am getting more and more jealous as the days go by. What's a girl to do?

Rawz said...

"I used a Mac in college". That's like saying that I don't like computers because I used a typewriter in grade school.

P.S. - you did this to spite me.