Wednesday, November 19, 2008

NXE Today!


For my readers who are cool enough to be gamers, today the Xbox Live environment gets its much talked-about overhaul.

Called the New X-box Live Experience, Microsoft is targeting the Wii crowd by making the dashboard a lot more cutesie and "fun." For example, now we get avatars which are little cartoony representations of ourselves in the virtual world of Live. This feature will be fun for about a week.

Don't get me wrong - I think the new environment will be great. From what I've seen it looks awesome. Definitely 3G, if you know what I mean.

But what I think is going to be the biggest draw to this new dashboard is the incorporation of Netflix. Members will be able to stream (stream, not download) movies directly onto their TVs from Live. This is huge. Like how the Playstation 2 gave DVDs a kick start in '99, the Xbox will be a major player in the move towards streaming movies electronically onto our televisions (something Apple couldn't do successfully).

As luck would have it, I'm at work right now not downloading this wonderful new experience. Let's hope the Microsoft servers don't crash when me and the rest of the adult gamers get home from work tonight and all download NXE at the same time.

No comments: