Wednesday, November 26, 2008

(Gingerbread) House Party; Or, The Death of a Joke

So there I was, just sitting there minding my own business when suddenly I receive a text message from our good friends, Max and Chris. The text message stated that we were invited to a gingerbread house party.

I texted back that I planned on making a gingerbread Kidd N' Play.

Son of a ... Max and Chris didn't get the joke either. (To be fair, Max and Chris are nearly a whole decade younger than us. House Party came out in '90 making them about 3 or 4 years old at the time. Maybe not that young, but you get the gist.)

Look, Kidd N' Play were these rappers in the late 80s who made a movie called House Party. And as a former English teacher the structural ambiguity of the phrase gingerbread house party struck me as funny.

Obviously, Max and Chris' message was stressing the two words gingerbread house and that it was going to be a party where the construction of said houses will occur. But I chose to put the stress on the two words House Party, bringing to mind the comedy stylings of Kidd N' Play.

The joke was dead before I hit send. I felt like Quagmire trying to explain the TV show Wings to Peter, Cleveland, and Joe.

You know, from Family Guy. Oh come on!


3 comments:

Lucky1304 said...

Okay, I'm not that much younger than you, but I don't really recall Kid N" Play either.

As an editor*, though, I appreciate your difficulty with the phrase "gingerbread house party" and would recommend the inclusion of a hyphen in the future: "gingerbread-house party." Which is actually really awkward too, so I'd probably just suggest that you maybe say, "Yes, I'd like to come to a party at your crib to make gingerbread houses."

Also, I'm not sure Emily Post would be down w/ the text message invite....

* I typically charge $25 an hour for this kind of wisdom, but today you get it for free!!

JC said...

Who's Emily Post?

Lynette said...

When you told me the joke, you didn't even give me a chance to get it! :) After telling the joke, without pause you said, "you don't get it, do you?." And, I'd have to be honest, I'm not even sure I've seen this movie from start to finish.

However, with that said, it's rare to ever be able to top your humor. I may have cracked the surface at the grocery store last week with "boreos" but that's about it.