Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How to Build a Spaceship

The universe (aka God) notices you.  Of course, those words are too simplistic for what I believe.

I believe there is a connection between my well-being and the world.  Granted, I don't mean the world rewards "good behavior" with "good luck," although it can be perceived that way (or confused that way).  What I'm saying is I (you) move through this organic, goopy existance differently when I'm (we're) healthy and happy and aware. 

The Butterfly Effect says (in a nutshell) that a butterfly flapping it's wings in South America can cause a landslide in India.  More or less.  Everything (EVERYTHING) is the result of one big infinite chain reaction.  I'm (we're) but a speck on a speck on a speck in that chain reaction, but an important link in the chain nonetheless. Insignificant, and yet still important.

I haven't kept myself as healthy as I could have. I've been lazy.  I have no excuse.  Though I can't be too hard on myself considering I used to smoke nearly two packs of Camels a day for ten years and quit cold turkey in 2006 with no relapse.  I also hit the gym that year and lost 45 pounds.  My mind and body were good.  But I neglected the final piece of the triad: My soul.

I spent all my adult life knowing there was no God.  I was certain.  Nothing could convince me otherwise.  And I was happy.  But then earlier this year something happened.  It's hard to describe, but I had the realization that science can't dig deep enough.  I appreciate the continual journey science has been on, but I feel like it merely scratches the surface.  Albeit deep scratches, but still only scratches.

Recently, the great Stephen Hawking said there is no God.  Fair enough.  I'd like to refute that by saying the Chicago Bears are the best football team in the NFL.  In other words, the absence of evidence does not make it so.

Or does it?  I guess it depends on who you ask.

There is something going on in this world on a spiritual level.  There's magic around us.  An undefined, mysterious magic.  My (our) consciousness is proof of it.  Love is another.  Morality another.  These things are inherent and powerful.

Our lives are meaningful.  Right now you (I) should be asking, "Why is my life meaningful?"  Answer that question and God might give you a cookie.

No comments: