Friday, February 4, 2011

Blow Me Away

Hey y'all, remember when I told you I was reading Laura Hillenbrand's new book Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and RedemptionRemember?  Well, I spoke too soon.  This book is absolutely, positively amazing! 

Seriously, I honestly cannot remember the last time a book has had this much of an impact on me.  I am so sucked into the true life story of Louie Zamperelli - a one-time Olympic runner turned WWII prisoner of war.  The gut wrenching story of how he floated on the Pacific Ocean for 47 days after his plane crashed is the stuff of nightmares.  Sharks were jumping INTO his raft trying to pull him into the water!  Sharks! Into!  Come on! 

But then he gets captured by the Japanese and you'll wish he was still on the raft.  Simply amazing, this man's story.  Not reading this book is a mistake.  Whenever I feel stress or pressure from my life I'll merely conjure up stories from this book and instantly feel better because I'll think, "At least I didn't have to beat sharks off my raft with a wooden oar today." 

No comments: