Monday, July 21, 2008

America Runs on Dunkin

I'd like to preface this post with a statement: As I have mentioned in a previous post, I do not have a problem with places like Starbuck's and Best Buy and Target as long as they're providing a service I cannot get elsewhere in a more convenient fashion and/or for a cheaper price. If Mom and Pop can't give me a place to park, or have what I want in stock, then I'm out - headed somewhere where I know will have it on their shelf. Hey, that's business! The better business gets my money.

So, this weekend I had to do some needed maintenance on my 50 gallon reef aquarium. I ordered new bulbs for my lights and replaced the pump on the skimmer (blah blah blah). I decided that I needed to refresh my "cleaning crew" which is jargon for snails, crabs, etc. They're little creatures that naturally keep a tank clean.

I asked Lynette if she was up for a drive to one of our favorite fish stores which was about a 30 minute drive west into rural Virginia. We hopped in the car and headed out. It was Sunday and the drive was pleasant. There are tolls part of the way which was annoying, but I figured I didn't get out this way often so it wasn't that big of a deal.

When we were getting close to the store Lynette stated that I looked like I needed a bump, meaning some sort of coffee drink because I may have looked tired or said something crabby. We remembered that there was a bakery right across the street from the fish store, so we could just go there for some coffee and maybe something sweet.

Unfortunately, when we arrived to the fish store we discovered it was closed. Apparently, they're not open on Sundays. I got angry. "I drove all this way for nothing! NOTHING!"

I wasn't a business major in college, but one would think with such a niche market such as salt water reef aquariums, you might want to be open on Sunday. At least for a few hours. Just an idea. Considering most reef aquarium enthusiasts probably work full time jobs Monday through Friday, weekends are the best time to get out to the fish store. (My actual rant at the time was much longer and more heated, but I'll keep it short for this blog.)

In an attempt to get me calm, Lynette suggested we just head over to the bakery and get our refreshments. We walked into the bakery and saw a delight of cakes and muffins and pastries and cookies. The smell of coffee wafted in the air. People were sitting at tables enjoying a Sunday afternoon in the bakery.

We stood at the counter waiting for someone to come serve us. No one was there when we arrived so we had time to think about what we wanted. I was leaning toward the black and white cookie.

We waiting some more. Still no one was helping us. An actual employee of this place was no where to be found.

We waited some more. Then I put my wallet away and walked out the door remembering that we passed a Dunkin Donuts a block away.

So there I was - ready to give my money to TWO independently owned businesses. And they BOTH failed me. Rather than support the little guy, I marched right into a national chain store and received precisely what I wanted in a matter of minutes.

I friggin' tried to help you, Mom and Pop, but you disappoint yet again! THIS is why you will fail. I can't wait for the next hipster to cry about how big box stores are ruining our country. Because I got a story to tell him.

On this particular day, JC was runnin' on Dunkin.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I was going to get the M&M cookie.