Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo!

Happy Halloween! Git you some candy today. Git me some, too.

I was reading a blog this morning that said if Obama takes Virginia on Tuesday then he has won the election. If he takes North Carolina, it's a landslide. So, as a Virginian, I will be doing my part to turn this state blue, and hopefully put Obama in the White House.

I read an article in The Post this morning that motivated me even more than I was before. In short, the article profiled young Republicans who were setting out to campaign for McCain and stop "liberal activism."

Liberal activism? I thought, "What the hell does that mean?" As far as I can see, "liberals" are an tolerant group who fight for the equal rights of ALL people, UNCONDITIONALLY. Whereas the other side only supports you and believes in you if you're Christian/Straight/War loving. What ever happened to peace and loving thy neighbor? I am getting so freaking sick of the right-wing, conservative double standards.

And don't get me started on the fear-mongering. That may have won the election for Bush in 2004, but people have smartened up. The hang over from September 11th has worn off.

Recently, I was asked why I was a Democrat. My response was that since I was not racist, not homophobic, and not living in 1958, I really had no choice. Saying this to Republicans angers them, obviously. Which is sort of the point, but it is never sufficiently argued. Like most Republicans, the exchange becomes heated and angry. (Shoot first, right nut-bars?)

Look, Republicans, you had your chance. Two chances, actually. Eight years. It was all yours. I hope you enjoyed it. Because now it's time for a change. I'm sick of hiding. I'm sick of feeling ashamed. I'm sick of fear.

So, Tuesday... Election Day... A historic day in this country. Pardon my language, but if you don't vote then you, sir or madam, are a colossal asshole. It's time to stand up for what you believe in.

Unless you're a Republican, in which case you can just stay home and polish your guns or make fun of people or whatever it is you do in your free time.

1 comment:

Elwood said...

Preach It, Brother!

I'm looking forward to the streets of Richmond running Blue with Change.