Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dear God

Let's be honest - We both know I don't really believe in you. (Heck, I got more proof of the existence of Santa Claus, but I digress.) But there are times in my life when I think What If? Actually, it's not What If, but rather Just In Case. And as an open-minded, intelligent person, I have much respect for all the religions of the world. I would never belittle any of them. Though I don't subscribe to their faerie tale creation stories and magical wizard-like powers that some of the main characters supposedly had, I do find that there is a strong, powerful energy surrounding the people who truly devote all their faith to it. Regardless of my beliefs, that power cannot be denied.

Now, this energy, this power I speak of, THAT is real. And THAT is what I hold in deep regard. Granted, for some, it takes the man-made stories of religion to bring it out, but I am a firm believer in this energy. It is an energy that existed in our universe long before simple humans climbed out of the murk. And this energy we all hold, I believe it controls every facet of our daily lives. The way in which we harness this energy, or the way we use it, positively or negatively, defines the outcome of everything we do. (BTW, this is why I believe "prayer" works... sometimes.)

Anyway, God, back to my point: I need to ask you for a favor. The Chicago Cubs are playing baseball tonight. (I'm sure you already knew that considering baseball is the second best gift handed down by one of your angels.) And, well, I'm NOT going to ask you to help them win. No. But what I do ask is if they lose, please let it be because the other team was better. If they lose, don't let it be because of some flukey, strange event that miraculously occurs. No black cats. No Steve Bartmans. No earthquakes. No meteorites. Just let them play baseball. And if the other team wins because they're truly better, I'll be ok with that.

You see, I'm a bit nervous this year. I'm nervous because they actually have a chance to go all the way. When it comes to baseball, I am superstitious. And when it comes to the Cubs, I prefer not to talk about them. But there's no use hiding anymore. They have a good chance of going all the way. But only if YOU prevent the unexpected from happening.

So please, God, please let them play normal, traditional baseball. Like I said, I have no problem with losing (heck, we're used to it), but don't let it be because a piece of the International Space Station accidentally broke off and fell to Earth landing on Wrigley Field. Please.

Sincerely,
Jason

P.S. Eamus Catuli!

No comments: