Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Adventures in First World

Chapter One: Dead or Alive

So I just spent an exorbitant amount of money on a new wallet. Well, exorbitant might be an exaggeration - I've never actually purchased a wallet before. Always just used the wallets given to me by distant relatives at awkward Christmas parties. "Aunt who?"

But I saw this company online that had some stylish looking wallets and I dug in. Why not, right? Well, now I can't decide if I want to keep the new wallet. Once you spend near one-hundred dollars on something that probably should only cost about twenty-five or thirty, it becomes bigger than it should.

So, now I have the wallet in hand and I don't know if it suits my needs. On one hand all my usual wallet items won't fit. But on the other hand, it'd be nice to trim the fat. Here's the thing: I would never give this bullshit one second of thought if it didn't cost me almost one-hundred dollars!

Meanwhile, there's really nothing wrong with my old, worn-in Dockers brand wallet that's been molding itself to the shape of my upper thigh for years. It's a bit bulky and heavy, I suppose. It works like a wallet should. And that's what's important, right? But this new one... wow, it sure is stylish.

Is it wrong to trade up from old, worn-in to new, stylish? The philosophers (and lovers) among you can discuss. Get back to me with your results.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I bought Max a "ridiculously expensive" front pocket wallet (i.e. slim) a few years ago for Christmas - it's great for "trimming the fat" as you say, but also the company repaired it at no cost when it started falling apart after years of being pushed in/pulled out of a pocket and being attacked with gusto by a toddler.