Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The one about Ross

When I told my friend Ross that he'd be a daft prick for not buying a Kindle he ran out and bought a Kindle.  When I told him that the iPhone 4 will get him laid he camped out for a month to buy an iPhone 4. 

Finally, Ross obtained the cherished iPhone 4 last night.  (Apparently, he slept with it last night like Ralphie and his Red Ryder BB gun.)

I bought the iPhone 4 a couple days after it went on sale, but I have not been able to use its most flaunted feature: FACE TIME!

Until now...

!!!

So Ross and I did Face Time last night and I had one of those moments where you realize you've made a significant step forward in the storyline of humankind and technological advancement.  If you don't know what Face Time is turn on a television and watch one of the various Apple commercials showing Face Time in action.  Anyway, as I was having a hand-held video conference with Ross I realized that in the near future every phone will have this feature.  I predict 5 years.  EVERY phone from EVERY manufacturer will have a Face Time feature and people will be using it like crazy.  That's how great it is. 

Computers have had web cams and video conferencing for more than a decade, but there were always obstacles the masses never fully overcame.  Mainly that a computer first had to have a web cam. Next, that the people had to learn how to use them.  Finally, that all parties had to be sitting in front of their computers to have a video conference.

Apple has eliminated the obstacles so that someone like my mom can now have a video conference while standing in her favorite store (Walmart).  Trust me, if I say my mom can do it, then your 21-month-old baby can do it.  (No offense, Mom.) 

Using Face Time is so easy.  So, so, so easy.  The future is here.  Hear me now or find out about it later, but either way you will be having a video conference with your wife while standing in the tampon aisle because the ones she wants won't be there and you'll be helpless and on the verge of tears. 

No comments: