Monday, June 7, 2010

Goobers Never Say Die


Happy birthday, Goonies. Without you I'd be one miserable son of a bitch. Twenty five years ago today I plopped my chunky body into a theater seat and watched a film that forever changed my life. So inspired by this movie, we created our own little adventure club called The Goobers. Complete with one token fat kid (me) and one token Korean kid(Tim). We had a secret fort, too. No lie.

It's been years since The Goobers reunited. One lives in California, one in Colorado, and one in DC. You can't get more evenly spread out than that. But every time I hear the voice of Cindi Lauper or see a Baby Ruth candy bar I'm transported to The Fort where our treasured Goonies movie poster hung.

Here's a great article from The Post regarding events that took place in Astoria, Oregon for the 25th Anniversary of Goonies.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

"bye bye marbles"...I don't know why, but I use this Goonie lineall the time for pretty much anything. Most times it doesn't even make sense. :-)